Rib Pain & Dysfunction
Did you know your ribs are constantly moving, even when you are asleep? With every breath you take, your lungs fill with oxygen, causing your ribs to expand and contract. Because of this, rib pain or certain conditions leading to a rib dysfunction can be extremely problematic, as they can result in difficulties with breathing and completing daily tasks.
If you have been experiencing rib pain, don’t hesitate to contact Redefining Health Physical Therapy today for an in-home physical therapy appointment. We’ll assess the situation to get to the root of the cause and determine the best course of treatment for your needs.
How does rib pain occur?
Your ribs are a complex part of the body. The rib bones protect your vital organs within the torso, especially your lungs. The rib bones connect to the sternum (also known as the breast bone) in both the front and middle of the spine. Joints to the sides of the rib bones are connected and held in place by ligaments, muscles, and protective cartilage. These also aid in comfortable breathing.
Some of the most common causes of rib pain and dysfunction include:
- Direct trauma, such as that from a car accident, falls, or sports collision.
- Muscle strains surrounding the ribs. This can happen suddenly, due to an injury, or overtime, due to the overuse of certain muscles.
- Arthritis. Certain types of arthritis, especially osteoarthritis, can affect the joints that connect to the rib bones, resulting in pain with breathing, coughing, sneezing, or performing certain tasks.
- Costochondritis. This is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects a rib bone to the breast bone. People with this condition typically report sharp pains and tenderness in the sternum.
- Musculoskeletal imbalances. If your hips are out of alignment your spine and rib cage will have different pressures occurring than they normally would. These kinds of imbalances are often the culprit for non-traumatic rib pain, meaning rib pain seems to occur for no reason at all.
Relieve your rib pain with Redefining Health Physical Therapy:
At Redefining Health Physical Therapy, we can help relieve your rib pain so you can get back to living your life comfortably. At your initial appointment, you will undergo a comprehensive exam with one of our experienced Portland physical therapists, in order to determine the root cause of your rib pain and determine the best treatment methods for your specific condition.
Some common treatment methods for rib pain include:
- Manual therapy including visceral manipulation (gentle organ manipulation)
- Targeted stretches
- Targeted exercise including specialized core exercise training
- Posture improvement
- Additional modalities or techniques to aid in pain relief, as our physical therapist deems fit.
All of these methods focus on simultaneously relieving pain and improving function, so you can recover as quickly as possible. If you have been living with rib pain and you’re looking for relief, contact Redefining Health Physical Therapy today. We’ll help you live life comfortably once again!