So what makes it medicinal? Let’s first define medicinal: “(a substance or plant) having healing properties.”
That’s ALL edible plants essentially! They bring nourishment to our body, in turn, giving substance for our bodies to activate the healing process. Without nourishment, we would die!
Now let’s be clear here. There are many forms of ‘substance’ that are on the market today called ‘food’ and so I challenge you in this new year before you invest your money in what goes in your pantry and refrigerator ask yourself…..Is this medicinal? Is it food? – Food: “Any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that plants absorb, in order to maintain life and growth.”
Additionally, on the medicinal point, you will note herbs you may not normally encounter in everyday recipes! Licorice root, dandelion root, and nettles! All super yummy nourishing herbs that are usually used in medicinal teas! We thought…since these herbs are so good for us, why not incorporate them into our everyday diet!
With that, we say ENJOY!!!
Here’s what you will need:
1 Tea bag or loose leaf infuser
- 1.5 cups dry green lentils
- 5 cups of water
- 1 inch ginger root – peeled
- Dash of Cumin
- Dash of Chili Powder
- Dash of Garlic Powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Licorice Root*
- 1/2 tsp Dandelion Root
- 1 tsp Dried Nettles
- 4 Cups EarthBound Organic Deep Green Blend (baby kale, chard, spinach)
- 1TBS sesame oil (or to taste)
- 1TBS Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 cup white rice
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2-1/2 cup of water
Here is what to do:
- Add lentils, water, ginger root, to a pot. Bring this to a boil then simmer. Add cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and salt once simmering. Simmer 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare licorice root, dandelion root and dried nettles by placing into a tea bag/tea ball. After 12 minutes place prepared tea bag into the pot with the lentils. Simmer 15 minutes or until lentils are al dante.
- Add EarthBound Organic Deep Green blend OR desired greens. Simmer until lentil is soft and remove from heat.
- Add sesame oil, olive oil, additional salt to desired taste, remove ginger and serve.
Rinse the three rice in a colander. Add wild rice, brown rice, white rice, salt, and garlic powder to rice pot with appropriate water; stir and bring to boil on medium heat un-covered covered for approximately 7-10 minutes. Stir rice medley again, cover with a lid and reduce temperature to low. Remain in low heat for approximately 45 min or until rice medley is cooked. If the rice needs to cook longer, add additional water and continue to simmer as necessary.